[DotGNU]Developing a IL -> jvm translator

From: Sylvain Pasche
Subject: [DotGNU]Developing a IL -> jvm translator
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:54:42 +0200

hello,

I'm actually working on a translator of IL to java bytecode.
I make this anouncement now to avoid duplicating efforts in case
someone else had the same idea (in case, please contact me).

I think about using the coder architecture developed in pnet. That is,
to write a coder objet that will output java bytecode during the
method verification process.

I see two way of implementing this translator:

1) The translator outputs opcodes in textual form (printf). In this
case, most of the ildasm routines will need to be used to output all
code other than methods. The output will have to be assembled
afterward to get a .class file.

2) The translator make a copy of the IL image in memory and replaces
the binary IL bytecode of the copy object with the java one. This way,
the translator can directly write the image to .class file, without
the textual step found above.

I would be glad to hear if someone thinks one solution is better than
the other..

I seem to prefer the first, as I think it gives a more easy development.

Regards

Sylvain Pasche