[DotGNU]Reasons for a design working group

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [DotGNU]Reasons for a design working group
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:57:15 -0400

Hi,

there has been little reaction to my suggestion of forming a design working
group, I interpret this as that a lot of people don't really have a strong
opinion about this (the proposal is neither supported nor rejected). So let
me just rally some support here by summing up some reasons why a design
working group would be nice.

First of all there is the matter of between part communication. The design of
the execution enviroments affects the design of the authorization systems
(who are used by the execution enviroments) and the design of the webservices
(who use the execution enviroments). Since the exec enviroments are the
interface to the auth systems for the webservices it's important to have
these things tuned to eachother.

Second there is the matter of appearance, the current structure of the
individual projects with the SC above them may appear a bit unorganized to
the industry, a structure of working groups with a defined terittory of
operation that are clearly connected in a tree structure will appear more
organized. A good appearance can be important to getting the industry to work
with us.

Third there is the matter of communication with non-DotGNU projects. We need
to keep in touch with other free software projects (like Mono). If we have
working groups these can keep in touch with the other projects for us. It
could also be useful to invite important non-DotGNU projects to take part in
a working group. This would certainly benefit all involved.

Fourth is the matter of organization when DotGNU gets really big. When the
projects get filled with developers and many new projects start it will be
hard to keep track of what's going on. The parts working groups could keep
track of developments in their areas and alarm the design working group (and
the SC) if there is something they going on that's important.

Well that's all I though off. Reactions are very welcome :-).

Greetings,

Peter