Re: [DotGNU]Is there a Developer FAQ

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Is there a Developer FAQ
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:30:58 -0700 (PDT)

Disclaimer :
This is not offical in any way. Rhys and Gopal, and all the others,
please correct me if I am wrong. :)

> can dig up in the past three days) and still trying to find where I
> might best assist, but I can't seem to find a FAQ or a HOW-TO.  Is
> their
> one out there???
I think the best to do is to cvs the code, read the hacking doc,
grep for TODO, FIXME or PLEASE_KILL_ME in the source code.

> In case there isn't, would you like one?
>
> Oh, I read somewhere that I had to disclose my knoledge of MS-.net.

hmmmm, i know nothing.

> microsoft press releases regarding their new platform, though I have
> read published microsoft documentation on the Win32 API.  I do not
Oh that?
Well it is funny, but the newest ECMA spec and the changes is not on
the  ecma site, but in a exe that self extracts to a word doc on the ms
page.

Reminds me about the hitchhickers guide: what do you mean you did not
read the notice?

> Here are some questions I already can't find answers to, please feel
> free to just point me at the proper documentation, as I know it will
> be done anyway :)
I will try as an outsider to respond.

> What is CSCC, and what is it's relationship to MSVC?
The csharp compiler, and it is not related to msvc.

> Do I need MS-Windows to develope for dotgnu at this point in time?
no, you can use many platforms, I have tested windows/cygwin and
debian.

> What is the development cycle in terms of multi-platform development,
> for example, develop on *nix, port to win32?
The dotgnuers have a set of hosts they test on, Very many.

> What packages do I need to install to claim to have a working dotgnu
> install (If this is possible at this point)?
treecc, pnet, pnetlib and any of the new libs.

To build it
and you need gcc,i think bison... any you might need autotools

> Where are the specifications?
>    For coding style (or is it gnu, or variable by package), and other
> such matters.

> What are the procedures for patch/code submission (I very much
> suspect
> that they should be mailed to a project developer, but I haven't
> found
> anything stating this)?
The official statement is to the savannah.gnu.org, but if rhys likes
your patches they can be posted the mailing list.

> What windowing toolkits are supported (I think the SEE might care
> about  such things, but I suspect nothing else does, so this might
just be a SEE thing)

I think there is an XSharp or X#, I have seem rhys working on it in the
past months. Heard about gtk# as well....

> Is GCC supported, if so are there version restrictions?
I have compiled with 2.95 and 3.X

> What tools do I need to develop on linux for dotgnu?
See above.

> Is there a central download site to quickly grab everything (or will
> there be) so installers don't need to go to 8 different FTP servers,
> and
> curse excessivly? (thinking of the current GNOME FTP directory
> structure
> which recently incorperated release directories with all the packages
> comprising a release in said directory.  Makes wget a great option)
Goto the cvs and grab it all.

> Thanks!
HTH.

mike