[DotGNU]Re: Implementing System.IO.Directory

From: Gopal V
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: Implementing System.IO.Directory
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:16:08 +0530

If memory serves me right, Charles Shuller wrote:
> I've decided to start implementing System.IO.Directory, and the first
> method listed there is Delete.  So just to make sure I'm doing things
> correctly, I'll review what I think the steps are:
>
> Implement ILInt32 _IL_DirMethods_Delete(ILExecThread *_thread, ILString
> *path) in lib_dir.c, while making no system specific calls.  System
> specific calls should be renamed something generic and then implemented
> in the System directory.
>
> Rebuild pnet, and then implement System.IO.Directory.Delete in
> pnetlibroot/System.IO.Directory/  Which will make use of the newly
> implemented Platform.DirMethods.Delete.

Hmm... You're dead right , except for the location, which happens to be
{pnetlib_root}/runtime/System/IO/Directory.cs ... But I guess you knew
that already ..

> What I still don't understand is, if cscc doesn't recognise Platform
> methods outside of pnetlib, and I can't build pnetlib with cscc, how do
> I test?  I know you mentioned pulling everything required into a
> deperate directory, but how do I convice cscc that Platform is valid in
> this case?

An example is worth a hundred lines of explanation ... So since I'm
not inclined to type out hundred lines , I'm pushing this example
upto you ... Check out http://symonds.net/~gopalv82/code/Directory.tgz

It's an example of how I hack pnetlib without recompiling the whole of
pnetlib ... I pull all the "internal" dependencies into one dir and add
a String _(String) method for the error message I18n stuff to the class
and hopefully cscc *.cs works ... Else it's back to slumming it in the
compiler ..

And in your case it does , So best of luck with System.IO.Directory !

Gopal