Re: [DotGNU]The ECMA 334 Examples (from spec)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The ECMA 334 Examples (from spec)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:12:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Gopal V wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >         I'm currently uploading all the example code in ECMA 334
> spec,
> > to http://symonds.net/~gopalv82/code/ecma334_example.tgz...
> >
> > BE warned this is not a hand extracted or edited version ... This
> > is a *blind* snitch off the spec. So the code may be pseudo code,
> > or code output or something else altogether ...
>
> We already went through this several months ago.  Testing
> against code in the spec is OK, but redistributing extracted
> portions of it may be a violation of the ECMA/Microsoft
> Copyright.  Technically, you are producing a derived work
> without permission.

Verbaim distribution and processing it eletronically via xpdf is
allowed. So it the sending it via cscc on the way.
The entire package and the source code to extract it can
be distributed. I have such a patch for xpdf. It is only another
step to hook that up to popen into cscc and presto, you have a syntax
highlighting displayer. That idea can be published as a software to
view and pdfs. I think an web board harvester that extracts minimal
test snipets from source code. I produces tons of coredumps. It was
great fun.

Just look at what is done by jagersoft
:http://www.jaggersoft.com/csharp_standard/

Microsoft never bother him, just said that he cannot redistribute the
source. I gotta publish my letter on slashdot. I bet they will accept
that.

I'll tell you all right now, I am not giving up yet. I have just
started.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont