[DotGNU]Forking pnetlib and moving on

From: Gopal V
Subject: [DotGNU]Forking pnetlib and moving on
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:48:44 +0530

Hi Everyone,
        I've been thinking about our dependence on Rhys to hack the
compiler. DotGNU Pnet should be a community and the current state
of pnetlib has been unsatisfactory for me .. The coding standards
of pnetlib has made us straggle in comparison to mono or ocl....

As the lead developer, I find it very disappointing to reject
patches from well meaning developers for reasons of stylistic
content or code quality ..

Get Pnetlib building with CSCC
------------------------------

    Let me get this straight, this is my ultimate and total
aim right now . I am going to solve the quibbles about pnetlib
not compiling with CSCC for once and for all times. How many
developers have we lost , who would have taken our side if
we had been building pnetlib with pnet.

    This mail is almost `too little,too late` in content, but
hear it out , as it is the only chance we have of surviving the
impending crush ... We're almost to the top of the hill and the
climb's getting steeper.

    Compiling pnetlib as an aim might seem to be too obvious ,
but it is not ... It is the only way I can get what I want . The
good or the obvious solution to the problem is fixing cscc ..
But unfortunately we lack the skill to proceed on it in a short
period. The bad solution is to modify pnetlib to make it work
with cscc . This might be bad , as we might decide to remove
to changes in the code at a later date.

    So as of even date , I can see an ugly but sufficent solution
for this problem. Fork pnetlib into dotgnu-libs as pnetlib_build
and apply all the coercion details, undeclared namespaces, and other
issues. This will allow us to develop a new set of unknown bugs which
might need fixing . This might also involve patching the compiler to
add the features it needs for building the new pnetlib (pointer increments
or similar issues).

I assume this is not an impossible or irrelevant suggestion . Rhys is
likely to object changes to the existing pnetlib, which is why I
suggest the fork into dotgnu-libs . I want dotgnu-libs commit access
to flow like water when we are able to build pnetlib_build with cscc.
Let me state again pnetlib_build (or pnetlib-build) is an effort to
move away from the current pnetlib organization . This re-organization
is not an impossible affair and requires no elite hacker with RSI
stricken thumbs...

I want this process completed in about 4-5 days ..  I want somebody
to import the entire pnetlib module into dotgnu-libs/pnetlib-build.
The process should show a number of bugs/missing features of pnet,
please keep a CAUGHT_BUGS in pnetlib-build as well.

I would like to call a meeting of all the good people of DotGNU
Portable.Net at 1900 hours UTC to discuss this idea...

I had been to the point of giving up on this , what with all my personal
problems. But I can't desert with a clean conscience ... and I NEVER
QUIT !!.

Forking might be an extreme measure, But It's time to get down and dirty..

Gopal