[DotGNU]Webservice Definition

From: Charles Shuller
Subject: [DotGNU]Webservice Definition
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:44:45 -0600

Minor point here, but it might be more important later.

The W3 defines webservice thusly:

[Definition: A Web service is a software application identified by a URI, whose interfaces and bindings are capable of being defined, described, and discovered as XML artifacts. A Web service supports direct interactions with other software agents using XML based messages exchanged via internet-based protocols.]

http://www.w3.org/TR/wsa-reqs#IDAGWEBD

We define it as a 'service on the web'

http://www.dotgnu.org/faq.html -- answer 1.05

While our definition is much broader, and certainly doesn't exclude the W3 definition. The W3 definition DOES potentially exclude some programs which conform to our definition. Specifically on the 'using XML based messages' and 'defined, described, and discovered as XML artifacts'

That said, the W3 doesn't have a whole lot else on the subject matter of use to us. I can see this causing issues in a year or so if our web-services aren't shipping off identifying information in XML, specifically if whatever server (SEE/VRS/Whatever) initially answers the request can't answer the meta-data query.

Of course, maby a better question is 'Do we care what the W3 sais on this matter?'

--
Charles Shuller
Jabber ID: address@hidden