Re: [DotGNU]Treecc Ruby support

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Treecc Ruby support
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:11:00 +1000

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> > While we're on the subject of scripting languages within treecc,
> > does anyone want to volunteer to investigate Perl and Python?
>
> Are we talking about the usage of the c-trees from perl,
> or the generation of objects from the tc files?

The generation of Perl objects and source from tc files.
The intended use for treecc is for people to write compilers,
or simple language processors, from scratch.  Treecc could
help with the writing of "grind" tools in Perl, for example.

> The usage of the c-trees from perl I think is more interesting.

To you perhaps.  Presumably there are existing tools for generating
Perl modules from .h files and such.  Those tools can be used to wrap
the C treecc output files in Perl if required by a particular project.

Treecc is a tool for the compiler-writer, not third parties.  If the
compiler writer had intended to allow their internal representation
to be accessed to third parties, they would have already done so.