[DotGNU]Re: The Intended usage of GNU software (was Treecc Ruby support)

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: The Intended usage of GNU software (was Treecc Ruby support)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 08:14:57 +1000

*sigh* This is getting very monotonous, and getting us nowhere.

If you want to add multi-language support to treecc, then nothing
is stopping you.  However, I gave you my considered opinion that
such a thing is more difficult than you think, and would probably
end up being a horrible kludge.  That is my opinion, as the author
of treecc and the world's foremost expert in its design.  Feel free
to prove me wrong.  With code, not words.

The GNU project may encourage things outside the original intent,
but it also encourages people to get off their backsides and do
it themselves!  I have decided that such a feature isn't useful
for me to look into at this time.  That shouldn't stop you.

If your patches actually enhance treecc, are consistent with the
style of the existing code, and don't break anything important, I
may even incorporate them.  If I won't incorporate them for some
reason, and you don't like that, then feel free to fork the project.

If you put half as much effort into code as you do into criticising
the honest opinions of others, we might acually make some progress.
We can only break this deadlock if you contribute something other
than more words.