[DotGNU](no subject)

From: Simon Guindon
Subject: [DotGNU](no subject)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:07:44 -0500

Hello all, I'm Simon Guindon, a C# developer on the win32 platform.  I
develop Jabber software using Joe Hildebrand's Jabber.Net library.  I've
mostly been keeping track of Mono's effort but lately I've decided to take
some interest in Portable.NET.

Basically my question is, is there any work being done to make the XML
parser MS compliant?  I think the CLR/CLI's great asset is portability and
doing a non-MS compliant XML parser sort of defeats the purpose, as I'd have
to run different tree's of our software along with another version of Joe's
library.

Just to give a little run down on what I'm working on.  I'm developing a
Jabber client based on .NET and  the heart of it is based on a plugin
handler I have written, but allow our application to be fully plugin driven
and very flexible.  This system can be used for any "jabber client"
connection, gui or not gui.  For example you could build a bot to do
services and customize what it does by what plugins you choose to use.  This
client will be free, and we plan to build a public community for developing
plugins, along with releasing a plugin SDK.

My holy grail goal, is to have a portable client, that also allows
cross-platform plugins, XML is a big key in this.

Another problem we have is GUI, but those are the Qt# and GTK# people's
scope not here, but I know some of them roam this mailing list, so if one
could contact me, I'd like to discuss a few things.  I'm currently using
winforms for gui, but I could be convinced to switch if our needs on the gui
end can be achieved.

I thought maybe your group of developers is best to help guide me on these
things since you guys are doing Jabber solutions.

Any information would be greatly appreciated (Sorry about the long post
lol).
Thanks,
Simon

Simon Guindon