Re: [DotGNU]Pnet Bug tracking and categories

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Pnet Bug tracking and categories
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:03:13 +1000

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 08:14 am, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> >(b) judged not to be
> > important at this time,
>
> Ok, well, I would like to take up issue with this.
> Please can you not close the bugs I raise on those grounds.
> If you dont want to deal with them, put them on low priority.

For the .data bug, I added a comment to the effect of "not important at this
time", and left it open for a couple of weeks.  You made no comment, added no
new information, and so I closed it.  The process is working correctly.  But
you are refusing to follow it because you don't like the outcome.

> > and (c) are inadequately specified and hence
> > cannot
> > be dealt with in the current form.
>
> That is another status, just put them as badly specified, and I will
> fix them. There is no sense in re-submitting more and more copies of
> the same bug.

Same as above.  I will normally ask for more information or a better test
case, before closing the bug.  But if the submitter refuses to provide useful
information then I close it.

> > You may disagree with my decisions sometimes, but attacking me in the
> > bug
> > description, and then via private e-mail, and then again in this
> > public forum
> > is not likely to change my decision.
>
> I have alot of respect for you rhys.
> This is not an attack, but professional criticism. I am sure you are
> able to see the difference.

Whether it is criticism or attack is irrelevant.  You have wasted hours and
hours of my time dealing with this issue when you could have just swallowed
your pride, and then submitted a decent bug report, test case, or patch.

> > Perhaps you are entering bugs that you yourself want to work on.  In
> > that
> > case, it is pointless to enter the bug.  Work on the problem, and
> > submit a
> > patch through the Patch Manager when you are done.  I don't need to
> > know
> > about problems that I'm not expected to fix.
>
> That is not helping anyone.
>
> I object to the current DotGnu attitude of no-public commitment and no
> public planning. Everything is done in secret. I dont want to work that
> way, and I dont think it is good for the project.

Secret?  The bug database and mailing lists are open.  The only closed list is
for the Steering Committee, and there has been no traffic on that list for
months.

Perhaps you want all bug reports to go to the list?  We can arrange that
easily enough, or create a separate read-only "dotgnu-bugs" list.  But you'll
probably be the one and only subscriber, so what's the point?

No one else has complained about the "secrecy" of the process.  Because, it
isn't secret.  Under-documented?  Yes.  Not publicised sufficiently?  Yes.
But not secret.

> Deleting is not the same as downgrading.
> You can give things the priority that you want, but please
> do not just delete them. If the bug report is faulty, let me fix it.
> If the information provided is not good, ask for updates.

And so I have to put up with dozens and dozens of bugs open, annoying the hell
out of me, making it impossible to locate real problems, just so that you can
waste endless hours writing debug crap and not solving the actual problem?

> It can be changed. If you want to browse the bugs, this information is
> useful. The bug tracker is not just for you, it is for all of us.

And if people don't enter the fields, then it is useless.  Or do you expect me
to fix up every bug that comes through to make the fields useful to you and
only you?

> Rhys, I have reported many quality bug reports. You have been able to
> find tens of problems due to my testing.

Yes, I've fixed 95% of the bugs that you've entered.  And yet, whenever I
close a bug without fixing it (complete with clearly stated reasons for doing
so), you seem to go ballistic on me and I have to waste days trying to get
you to shut up and stop wasting my time!

I will not be responding to any further messages in this thread, either
privately or publicly.  I have work to do - work that actually contributes to
the greater good of DotGNU.