Re: [DotGNU]Encryption protocols

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Encryption protocols
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 17:47:13 +0100

Rhys Weatherley wrote:

> A lot of work has gone into SSL/TLS to make sure that the algorithms are used
> correctly in combination.  It is would be very dangerous for DotGNU to make
> up a new session protocol.  It would be better to use the standard directly.

Right. But let's not forget we don't have a socket connection to the
server/client but a socket connection to the Jabber server in many cases.

> Pnetlib does currently have implementations of the core algorithms involved
> under System.Security.Cryptography.  Perhaps someone can take it as an action
> item to write an SSL/TLS implementation on top in C#.

Don't create it off pnetlib, please. That would make it worthless to DotGNU
applications that are not programmed in C# (right there is only one at the
moment, but given the total amount of DotGNU apps that's still a large
percentage :-).

> Or perhaps instead
> take an action item to PInvoke-wrap OpenSSL and/or GnuPG for use in C#
> applications.  The latter is likely to be easier, and less likely to get
> wrong, but don't let that stop you.  A pure C# implementation would be kind
> of cool.

Pure C# would be cool, but C would be more portable (just change a few details
in a SWIG file and you're done) and thus more useful. Another strategy would be
of course to start in C and build a pure C# version for speed and coolness after
that (though I don't know if there will be a significant speed benefit).

Greetings,

Peter