metadata repository (Re: [DotGNU]New WG leader)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: metadata repository (Re: [DotGNU]New WG leader)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:37:26 -0800 (PST)

Speaking of WG:

I have still an RFC out on the Metadata repository.
Now I slowly feel up to taking that on.

It is related to reflection.emit.

Basically, I would like to build up a repository of all the different
reflection modules :
1. Reflection.emit class model
2. CodeDom class model
3. TreeCC C# tree structure (Treecc)
4. Sharp Develop class model
5. Monos Compiler class model c#
5. Monos Compiler reflection lib (c)
6. GCC Asts (introspector)
7. The dotgnu IL parser (C lib)
8. The Pnet/C Compiler (c)
9. The Swig Parser (c)
10. Binge (c#?)

All of these modules talk about trees and talke about sections of code
the worst thing is they are all talking about the same thing but in
different languages.
One of the goals of the metadata repository will be to collect
in an easy to reference rdf file format :

1. CS Class metadata
2. IL meta data
3. C++ meta data

The repository will be filled from difference sources,
but the end result will be a collection of identitifiers that can be
put in relationship with each other. Then from this database we can
help bridge the symantic gap between all these programs.

This will be the first step in creating of a brand new reflection emit
implementation, the consolidation of the compiler class models. The
unification of them into one interelated symantic network of knowledge.