Re: [DotGNU]The GNU.RDF meta-project

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The GNU.RDF meta-project
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 16:55:48 +0100 (CET)

Peter Minten <address@hidden> wrote:

> where is the line between a project and a meta-project? I think a project
> becomes a meta-project when it has at least 2 parts that aren't
> really related.

Hm... I'd say that a Free Software meta-project is an effort to
facilitate the process of developing an maintaining a number of
related Free Software packages.

So, a development project creates and maintains code.

A meta-project creates and maintains development projects.

> The goal of the GNU.RDF meta-project will be to create a free
> semantic web infrastructure and to connect GNU to it. The existing
> RDF initiatives are very scattered and it's hard finding them. The
> GNU.RDF meta-project will be a central place for all GNU RDF
> software and documents.  An advantage of the central meta-project
> approach is that it's easy to make all components work together
> using certain standards.  I hope that the meta-project will get
> enough mass to actually create some standards where the W3C doesn't
> or does it too slowly.

Sounds great.

I expect that the difficult part will be to find the volunteers to
do all this.... for this reason I'd recommend to start with a less
ambitious approach of creating a single GNU package that meets the
immediate needs.   Keep the grand vision in mind, document it, and
make your RDF package general enough that it will be useful as part
of the big vision when we'll be able to expand our efforts.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Free Software Business Strategy Guide   --->  http://FreeStrategy.info