Re: [DotGNU]The RDF Linking Problem

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The RDF Linking Problem
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 07:27:37 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I was hoping to have something that uses the VRs to handle this.
In the case of the c++ metadata, the sheer volumne of meta-data makes
it hard to hold it all in memory. Via a multi server technique it would
be possible to handle searching for example the linux source code.

mike
--- Peter Minten <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> there is one big theoretical problem in the way of the semantic web:
> the linking
> problem (as I call it). An example: say there are a couple of million
> RDF
> servers and you want to find metadata about a book named "Hackers",
> however the
> metadata is stored somewhere on an obscure little server and there
> are no links
> to it. The only way to find it would be to search the complete
> semantic web. If
> enough of those situations would occur the semantic web would get
> jammed.
>
> The way I see things this situation can be resolved in two ways:
> enough links
> (easiest, but hard to get done) and P2P techiques. P2P mostly boils
> down to
> metadata (for example about where to download copyrighted materials
> without the
> authors permission ;-) so if we copy some of the techinques of
> existing Free
> Software P2P initiatives the linking problem should be solvable.

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/