Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Informer No. 4 (irc meetings summaries)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Informer No. 4 (irc meetings summaries)
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:20:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> wrote:
> The DotGNU Informer -- Volume 1, Issue No. 4
>
> Here's a summary of the recent DotGNU irc meetings.  (For info on
> DotGNU's irc channel and on the weekly meetings, please refer to
> http://dotgnu.org/irc.html ).

Thanks Norbert.

> DotGNU and Free Software business
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The DotGNU project was born out of the vision to create a viable Free
> Software industry.  This vision was there before DotGNU was even part
> of GNU.  Unfortunatly the organisational vessel for that vision
> proved
> to be totally inadequate.  nb wants to create a replacement, but
> isn't
> sure yet how.  For now, he's slowly building
> http://freestrategy.info/
> nb's research on business questions had led him to the conviction
> that
> the main business problem that DotGNU can/should solve is the
> integration of business processes across untrusted networks.  This
> may
> become the main selling point of DotGNU: integrate your business
> processes in a manner that's secure and that doesn't lock you into
> any
> proprietary systems.  minddog asks if we should start making web
> services for different business problems, like purchase orders,
> digital
> signatures, etc.  nb replies that unless we have customers, we'd
> probably build useless technology.  Some genuine customer needs to be
> involved in order to create solutions that solve real problems.

On the other side, you need business partners. A certified developers
program. A training program. You need to have some way to get people
selling dotgnu.

I have tried today at my work, but it is difficult.

The dotgnu system, with the security model, and caged execution will be
a large selling point. Even if it is not c#.

One issue will be GPL compatibilty. I need to review what is GPled and
what now. The fact that the dotgnu DGEE is a competitive product to my
works offering is another issue. I need to do a detail comparison of
the functionalities provided.

The other issue will be C#. At my work they only use c++, and java and
oracle. Some corba. Dotgnu should be able to fit in there. I need to
find some places where it can help.

The ability to compile or use some of the java headers would be
interesting. DGEE is another area. What about exisiting java jars? Will
we be able to call them from dotgnu?

I need to try out alot of the new good stuff being done here, but also
need to try and find something I can sell.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/