Re: [DotGNU]Java compiler , more news

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Java compiler , more news
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:30:18 +1000

On Saturday 26 April 2003 07:10 am, Jeroen Frijters wrote:

> I chose to make java.lang.Throwable an alias for System.Exception and do
> some exception substitution in Java exception handlers (e.g.
> System.NullReferenceException -> java.lang.NullPointerException). This
> also requires playing some tricks with the virtual methods in Throwable.

This is probably easier in ikvm because you can dynamically rewrite the
classes on the fly.  A static compiler like cscc might need some additional
tricks.

> J# is not a very good product (to put it mildly), but on the upside it's
> lameness did inspire me to start working on http://ikvm.net

I would suggest that being compatible with ikvm would probably be a good
thing.  There's no point having two different ways of solving the class
merging problem, and interoperability is always good.

Jeroen, would it be possible for you to drop into one of the IRC meeting
sessions this weekend so that we can discuss what you did and how it could
help us make cscc better at compiling Java?