Re: [DotGNU]Ml-pnet , status report 04-06-2003

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Ml-pnet , status report 04-06-2003
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:47:45 +1000

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 05:49 am, Gopal V wrote:
> Hey all,
>       I've just finished updating the Npgsql (a Managed ADO provider)
> to ml-pnet , which rounds off my first round of porting libraries.
> So now you can access Sql databases from Portable.net ..

Great work Gopal!

> >     In order to use WineLib/Win32 functions under Mono I have created a
> > small
> >     "stub" application that embeds the Mono engine inside the WineLib
> > application.
>
> Pnet will require its own embedding  , internal calls and other framework
> changes to this .

If we can get some details on what this "stub" needs to do, then it shouldn't
be too hard to auto-detect winelib in configure and then build an
"ilrun-wine" binary to hold it.

> >     with garbage collection disabled as there is a problem using WineLib
> > with
> >     garbage collection enabled

I thought they'd fixed this.

> This of course means "reinvent" the wheel because they used three screws
> and we're using bolts to hook up the axle !.. Considering the fact that
> the last 4 days I spent in fixing compiler errors in Winforms code , Oof !
> Wasted effort, I guess ... :-(

Not wasted.  Those compiler bugs wouldn't have been found or fixed otherwise.
Even when we can't run the code yet, flushing the bugs out of the compiler
and pnetlib helps make the system better overall.