Re: [DotGNU]winforms

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]winforms
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:38:33 +1000

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 08:16 am, Simon Guindon wrote:
> Ok so I've decided I'm going to tackle statusbar, I've already started
> and its going pretty good.
>
> Two questions I have though.  First off, I'm writing the control in .NET
> using the Windows Control project settings, I doubt you guys accept code
> into pnet CVS that's from VS.NET but I'm asking anyways, is this
> acceptable?

If it is code that you have written yourself, using VS.NET as merely a
glorified text editor, then that's OK.  It would be nice though if the code
used the same coding style as the rest of winforms (see pnetlib/HACKING for
coding guidelines) so that it doesn't appear "jarring" to the casual
observer.

> Another thing, statusbar's have panels, so you can show different info
> in the statusbar etc, do I have to do DrawString's manually for the text
> etc, or can I make use of composite controls by adding labels and Panel
> objects into my statusbar?  I've done composite controls but I know some
> people think drawing by hand is quicker.

I think hand-drawing will be closer to how MS does it.  It's not a question of
being "quick", but rather being faithful to the MS behaviour.  Have a look at
the Wine code's status bar control and see what they do.