[DotGNU]Re: [Pnet-developers] I haven't dgadmin

From: Chris Smith
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: [Pnet-developers] I haven't dgadmin
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:28:21 +0100

> goldwater --prompt='dotGNU DGEE'
>
> running which should also require the dgeeenv.sh
>
> Complicated, but possible ...

Okay,
People are having too many problems.

This _must_ change.

I'm writing an FAQ as I have enough 'frequent' questions
to do so.

Gopal (and others who have a handle on how goldwater
works), how can we _hide_ the 'complication' ????

Goldwater assumes some level of learning and, erm,
experience.... well sort of.  It's a complicated beast, and
I often skip trivial or silly setup mistakes from the
documentation because I don't make them (being _the_
expert).  Skipping assumed trivia is the common software
engineering dilemma.
Mind you, if you read, understand and follow the README
and QUICKSTART it just *works* - but that doesn't help
those people who still struggle.

This email is (I hope) going to deliver a swarm of suggestions.
Roll them in :o)

An FAQ will probably help no end.  Like where to find
the logs.  Why the dgee (ie goldwater) fails to initialise
and what to do about it. etc.

There really are only a handful of things that ever fail.

I'm just looking for sensible suggestions from you guys to
help cushion (and remove) the learning curve. [Why
have to know how to administer goldwater to get the
dgee running?]

Comments on a postcard.....

Cheers chaps.
Chris