Re: [DotGNU]A simple Winforms game , 8-puzzle

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]A simple Winforms game , 8-puzzle
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 06:09:53 +0530

If memory serves me right, Pascal Hauser wrote:
> xxxx\Board.cs(11,26): error CS0052: Inconsistent accessibility: field
> type  Board.NumberedButton[]' is less accessible than field
> 'Board.buttons'
> xxxx\Board.cs(82,16): (Location of symbol related to previous error)
> Is that a bug in cscc? I think so.. you have a nested private class..
> and a public variable on the outer class.. so other classes shouldn't
> know the type.. Am I right?

You are right ... it could be called a bug :)

But personally I don't see any reason why cscc should implement that...
(maybe as a warning, but certainly not as an error !)... And also I
couldn't find any information about this on the ECMA spec ?. If you
do know where it is in ECMA spec, I think I'll have some reference
to implement against.

It's slightly complicated to figure out the actual accessibility of
a member ... ie it might be the least common set of accessibilities
of the member, it's parent class and it's containing class if any ...
Similarly for types ...

If that is correct, the public member of an internal class is actually
"internal" in accessibility ... or so I think ... need more docs :)
And it's a low priority bug too ...

Looking at it , it looks as though this will be simple to fix as soon
as I get some decent info... :)

Gopal