PPC , JITs and CVM (was: [DotGNU]PInvoke question...)

From: Gopal V
Subject: PPC , JITs and CVM (was: [DotGNU]PInvoke question...)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:58:44 +0530

If memory serves me right, Mark Easton wrote:
> the Wine guys don't seem too bothered about investigating the use of
> Winelib on non-X86 hardware, I think I might have a play to see how
> powerpc friendly it is

Are you on ppc ? ... (speaking of which you, were on OS X , right ?)..
I wonder if you have seen the generic unroller announcement ? .. It
looks as though the x86 JIT has shrunk to less than 1000 lines !.
And consists mostly of header files and stuff like ....

#define MD_REG_0                X86_EAX

rather than real code (ie by "real code" meaning hard stuff like
register allocation...) And rhys has called on people to do similar
stuff for PPC, IA-64, Alpha and S/390 ...

Rhys has said that the platform ports of this new JIT should take
less than a week for each :)

Must be good news for you ?

Gopal
PS: this is quite a day for 3 letter acronyms ... PPC, JIT, CVM ....