Re: [DotGNU]DGEE/CSLIB Question about webservices lifetime

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DGEE/CSLIB Question about webservices lifetime
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:09:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thursday 31 July 2003 14:32, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > Nicolai,
> >
> > I understand that sessions are not implemented,
> > but what about the idea of just keeping the server side object
> active
> > between requests? I dont care about scalability right now, just
> about
> > being about to save data for 10 minutes. There must be a trick to
> keep
> > DGEE from killing my session. I need to look into the source code.
>
> You can't stop the dgee from killing your 'session'. As far as you
> are
> concerned, as soon as the webservice has finished executing and
> returned the
> response, it will be removed from memory (this isn't completely true
> - but
> you have no control and no say over when it _is_ removed from
> memory).
> In fact, you have no control over which instance of the VM executes
> your
> requests, so you'll never have a consistent state anyway.
>
> However (as you know) there exists both application state and session
> state in
> the world of dotgnu/.net. Application state is basically what you're
> are
> talking about here - effectively static 'data' that hangs about at
> the server
> and visible to your application.

I want to have a running process for each job. It should fork and just
continue with a ping pong communcation with the client.
they can send messages back and forth until the transaction is
complete.

> This is not very far off from being complete.  Mtmoore has done shed
> loads of
> work towards application state handling (from which will be derived
> session
> state) - what we're lacking is sensible serialisation support ( in
> the
> traditional .net object serialisation sense) - You were looking into
> this
> weren't you Mike?

yes i have been sidetracked into getting gsoap running. I have been
able to create webservices and connect to other webservices.
i am happy with just using xmlrpc to save. can you provide the
persistant string mechanism, i will handle the rest.

> I've sorted the 'between calls' storage, all that we need to do is
> tie the
> webservice handling to the backend with some serialisation... for now
> we
> could uses npg's xmlrpc serialiser for the job, if you don't mind
> some
> limitations on what you can store (ie structs instead of objects).
> When
> portable.net serislisation is a bit more advanced, then we will use
> that -
> but there is no reason to not proceed with the functionality we have
> as it
> will work.
>

> And as far as your interest in the session ID - I don't think .net
> makes it
> visible to you, at least I've not come across any examples where a
> webservice
> or client explicity reads the sessionID - it's all handled behind the
> scenes
> of client and server.
> We need to do the same, but I propose making the session ID visible
> through
> some global variable as I find that this is often very very useful.

ok. I would like to get access to the network uri of the person and the
session. Somehting like the the irc handle for example.

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/