Re: [DotGNU]Dotgnu written in C#?

From: DrDiettrich
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Dotgnu written in C#?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:52:09 +0200

j_post wrote:
> The most serious errors in programming are architectural, not errors in
> implementation. That's why mistakes made early on in the design stage are the
> most costly.

Agreed. I'm not sure how far project design tools can help in this
phase, and the tools must be used at all, and in the best way.

> Newbies *and* old-timers make mistakes--they just tend to be
> different kinds of mistakes. IMHO, languages that "protect" an incompetent or
> inexperienced programmer are good for teaching, but not for production work.

Where do you see any reason, why a compiler should not be able to
perform extended syntax and semantic checks on the source code, and
produce the most efficient code at the same time? Here I don't mean
specific (C#, Java...) implementation details, only the syntactical and
semantical constructs which provide more information to the compiler
than e.g. bare C code, after preprocessing.

I agree if you mean time consuming runtime checks, which only can catch
errors when they occur, and which then cannot give much information
about the reason for the error. OTOH any object management support, like
garbage collection, will slow down the code a bit at runtime, but can
reduce development time dramatically; not so much in writing the
application code, but in hunting bugs!

DoDi