dotgnu-libjit

Re: [Libjit-developers] Re: [DotGNU]Libjit x86 back end enabled

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: Re: [Libjit-developers] Re: [DotGNU]Libjit x86 back end enabled
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:43:16 +0200

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:52:06AM +0100, Mike Aubury wrote:
> Is there any chance at all of ever getting a very basic/simplified C compiler
> frontend  to hook onto this rather than the Pascal one ?
> Only - I have a project that this would be absolutely perfect for...
>
> [....]

If you only want x86 target for C, you might also consider tinycc by
F.Bellard - see http://tinycc.org and
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tinycc for more.

Tinycc is a very fast C compiler for x86, which includes some kind of
JIT (actually, in memory compilation of a long string containing C
code). Tinycc compiles quickly (sometimes 6-8 times faster than gcc)
but produces code a bit slower (typically 20-30%) than the code
produced by gcc -O.

If you want to generate dynamic machine code, you might also consider
using GNU lightning, which works well on x86.

All programs mentioned here are opensource.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net