Re: [Pnet-developers] Dynamic Typing in IL for scripting languages?

From: minddog
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Dynamic Typing in IL for scripting languages?
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:58:38 -0700

If I'm not mistaken Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2003 04:24 am, minddog wrote:
> > Hey,
> >     I'm going through my old code(pretty much useless) for ghp thinking I
> > can revive it.  I remember the whole thing about dynamic typing was
> > causing my a headache.  Wouldn't it be a lot less code to write for ghp
> > if we worked on an addition to IL for dynamically typed languages?
>
> IL already works with dynamically typed languages to a degree (e.g.
> JScript, Mercury).
>
> JScript in particular represents everything as an "Object", and then uses
> the "is" operator and the "GetType()" method to determine what something is
> before using it.  There are a bunch of conversion methods in the "Convert"
> class for converting arbitrary objects into specific types
> (Convert.ToString, Convert.ToNumber, etc).
>
> I hope this helps.  Fergus may be able to provide some additional pointers
> from his Mercury experience.

Well JScript uses Reflection AFAIK and for something like GHP, it needs to be
fast as its counterpart(speed isn't the first concern, but if I can avoid
this problem now by not using Reflection, I will).  Does Mercury also use
Reflection?

I'm thinking about Parrot Assembly for this project instead.  I need to look
at what pnet has for parrot codegen.  Anything you guys can tell me off the
top of your heads?

regards,
--
--minddog( Adam Ballai )

"I try to take it one day at a time, but several of them attack me at once."
-mistyflip