Re: [Pnet-developers] An automatic cvs pull patch for ml-pnet

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] An automatic cvs pull patch for ml-pnet
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 16:36:20 +1000

On Sunday 01 June 2003 03:59 pm, Gopal V wrote:

> In short, you are not among the target audience :-)

Unless someone from the target audience actually fronts up and says "I really
need this", it's not really necessary.

The kind of people who are going to have trouble with CVS are probably also
the kind of people who would prefer to install pnet/ml-pnet from binary
packages and not deal with source at all.  So it is kind of a moot point.

> mcs subtree== 45 Mb
> sources.cvs== 4.3 Mb
>
> See why I picked the latter option ?

At the cost of adding one more place that must be kept up to date by the
ml-pnet developers, for a target audience of exactly zero people.  The result
will be very fragile and I don't want to have to spend half of my time fixing
"the PULLCVS version doesn't work" bugs because I forgot to add a line to a
file I never, ever, use myself.  These kinds of bugs never turn up before the
release - always 2 days after when it is too late to fix them.

> I don't want to tell a prospective developer to read the CVS instructions
> of another project , download it and then compile this module ... It just
> doesn't make sense .

But that's the whole point of ml-pnet!  To allow people to download and
compile the code from another project.  We don't need to make it easy.  Just
*possible*.

Let's get the thing working, with a good selection of libraries, and then
worry about ease of use later when and if a real need demonstrates itself.

Cheers,

Rhys.