[Pnet-developers] About GNU TLS with DotGNU.SSL

From: Gopal V
Subject: [Pnet-developers] About GNU TLS with DotGNU.SSL
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:57:22 +0530

Hi,
        I was just investigating the GNU TLS with DotGNU.SSL and found
that it was lacking in i2d_X509 functions .. But noticed another
point of interest ..

OpenSSL allows you to link in OpenSSL code with GPL'd code , but
has an advertising clause which makes it uncomfortably non-FREE in
a direct sense. OpenSSL code only prevents the re-licensing of itself
in GPL , otherwise I couldn't see where it prevents itself from
being linked to GPL'd code ?

Gnu TLS has an OpenSSL emulation mode in their libgnutls-extra
component , but which happens to be GPL'd .. So using that via
PInvoke comes very near a GPL violation , if not one. Because
pnetlib makes the API accessible to non GPL programs . I'd prefer
not to use GNU TLS due to this possible bending of 'fair use' rules ?
On the other hand, I have no problems adding this as a set of icalls,
as this would establish a solid linking to a GPL'd program and reduce
chances of misuse in other contexts.

Choose between the uncomfortable and the illegal :-)

Justifying status quo,
Gopal