[Pnet-developers] Trouble with install on Mac OS X

From: Jason King
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Trouble with install on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:12:13 +0100

Hi everybody (Hi Dr. Nick!).

Forgive me for bothering you, I am pretty much a Linux / Unix / MacOSX
newbie.  I have tried the install as detailed on the Southern Software site
on both Linux and MacOSX Darwin (I also swapped to bash), and have differing
problems for each.  I am not really bothered about the Linux problems as I
was only trying it out on Linux to see if it worked fine and thus my problem
would be with the Mac.  Unfortunately, both set ups seem to fail.  I have
inlcuded the configure.log from the Mac ./configure of pnet, it does show an
error somewhere.  Treecc install seemed to work ok, I check the directory
that Rhys mentioned (/usr/local/bin/treecc) and fair enough, treecc is
there.  However, both madcow and pnet set up report that it is not
installed.

By the way, I can't figure out anything about environment variables, so for
example, if you tell me to set an environment variable, I do not know how to
do it, similarly, configuring pnet is beyond my knowledge at this point.  I
am sorry about needing so much hand holding.  Incidentally, I am logged in
as root for all attempts, so should have all the relevant permisions set.

So, to summarise:
Mac -
        Logged in as root
        Unpacked the treecc tar balls
        Move to relevant folder
        Treecc "./configure" seems ok
        Treecc "make all" seems good
        Treecc "make check" reports: Pass run_tests and All 1 tests passed
        Treecc "make install" seems good, treecc is found in directory
/usr/local/bin/
        Unpack pnet tar balls
        pnet "./configure" does its thing and terminates after reporting
that it cannot find treecc (config log attached)

SuSE8.2 Linux
        Logged in as root
        Unpacked the treecc tar balls
        Move to relevant folder
        Treecc "./configure" seems ok
        Treecc "make all" - ***No rule to amke target 'all'. Stop.
        Unpack pnet tar balls
        I expect the next bit to fail as treecc is not installed:
        pnet "./configure" does its thing and terminates after reporting
that it cannot find treecc (config log attached)

I have my doubts about the Mac config log - 2/3rds of the way down is a
syntax error.

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated.  Rhys, if you are
reading this, sorry for subjecting you to it again.  Error logs below.

Regards,
Jason King
Profox Systems Ltd

Mac config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:592: checking host system type
configure:613: checking target system type
configure:631: checking build system type
configure:666: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:719: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:776: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:822: checking for working aclocal
configure:835: checking for working autoconf
configure:848: checking for working automake
configure:861: checking for working autoheader
configure:874: checking for working makeinfo
configure:891: checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
Makefiles
configure:919: checking for gawk
configure:919: checking for mawk
configure:919: checking for nawk
configure:919: checking for awk
configure:951: checking for gcc
configure:1064: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:1080: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
configure:1106: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler
configure:1111: checking whether we are using GNU C
configure:1120: gcc -E conftest.c
configure:1139: checking whether gcc accepts -g
configure:1175: checking for c++
configure:1207: checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works
configure:1223: c++ -o conftest    conftest.C  1>&5
configure:1249: checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) is a
cross-compiler
configure:1254: checking whether we are using GNU C++
configure:1263: c++ -E conftest.C
configure:1282: checking whether c++ accepts -g
configure:1325: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:1378: checking whether ln -s works
configure:1399: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:1428: checking for ranlib
configure:1460: checking for bison
configure:1491: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:1512: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:1508: undefined type, found `Syntax'
configure:1508: illegal external declaration, missing `;' after `Error'
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic
mode
configure: failed program was:
#line 1506 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <assert.h>
Syntax Error
configure:1529: gcc -E -traditional-cpp  conftest.c >/dev/null
2>conftest.out
configure:1576: checking for flex
configure:1609: checking for flex
configure:1643: checking for yywrap in -lfl
configure:1662: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lfl   1>&5
configure:1685: checking lex output file root
configure:1706: checking whether yytext is a pointer
configure:1725: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c  -lfl 1>&5
configure:1749: checking for treecc

SuSE8.2 config.log for pnet