Re: [Pnet-developers] Question about debugging c# code with pnet

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Question about debugging c# code with pnet
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:05:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Klaus,

As far as I am concerned, the best way to debug
with pnet is to modify pnetlib with Console.WriteLines
There is no other magic way to debug.

> If not I would like to know how you debug your code
> to find the errors.

Of course, I'm assuming that the System.Diagnostics
still lets us debug stuff with that.

Console.WriteLine(new StackTrace());

is an interesting thing to do ... of course 90% of
the time that catches the bug for me :). On rare
days I do a

if(!strcmp(ILMethod_Name(method),"MyMethod"))
{
fprintf(stderr,....
}

inside the COP_CALL handler inside the engine to
trace the execution of the method. This is also
useful when you have a segfault some times.

That should be enough for Winforms , though people
debugging the XML parser will usually go crazy
tracking "goto" and switch case statements.

I'm still waiting to see how the proposed
debugger/debug protocol works out. Any comments
on that , anyone ?. (/me expects a troutslap from
*THE* FFOD)

Gopal