Re: [Pnet-developers] (no subject)

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:44:46 +1000

On Friday 06 February 2004 01:20 am, Jason King wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anyone have a list of namespaces within Portable.NET that do not exist
> with in the Microsoft framework?  If not, can anyone tell me the best place
> to start looking - that is, is it better to look through the installed
> directories, or trawl through the status pages (don't they only contain
> unfinished namespaces?).

It's mostly new assemblies, rather than new namespaces that we've added.
Where we've added a new namespace (e.g. System.Drawing.Toolkit), it is
generally intended for internal pnetlib use, not for third parties.

Here's a quick cook's tour of the new assemblies in pnetlib:

cstest.dll, csunit.exe - unit testing framework and front-end.
DotGNU.Images.dll - image loading/saving routines (bmp, jpg, png, etc).
DotGNU.SSL.dll - SSL support routines (usually accessed via System.Net).
DotGNU.Terminal.dll - routines that augment the 1.2 extended console.
I18N*.dll - localization handling, used internally by mscorlib.
ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll - compression/decompression routines.
libc64.dll/libm64.dll - C library.
OpenSystem.C.dll - low-level C support routines (used internally by libc).
OpenSystem.Platform.dll - platform-dependent type definitions.
System.Drawing.*.dll - drawing toolkits for X, Win32, and Postscript.
Xsharp.dll - C# binding around the X11 libraries.

There are a few extensions scattered around in standard assemblies (e.g.
System.IO.SymbolicLinks), but right now I don't necessarily recommend that
they be used as-is as they could change radically in the future.

System.Drawing.Toolkit is probably the only extension that needs to be
mentioned specially, attached to a description of how our drawing layer
works.

If you want an exhaustive list of extensions, then you can use the "il2doc"
and "csdocvalil" programs to do a comparison against MS and search for
classes labelled "extra".  I've attached a script (which you'll have to
modify heavily for your installation setup) that can help with this.

Cheers,

Rhys.