Re: [Pnet-developers] How is libgc configured thread-wise in pnet? (Modi

From: Peter Colson
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] How is libgc configured thread-wise in pnet? (Modified by Peter Colson)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:41:07 +1100

Tum,

I'm trying to understand how the gc and it's concept of parallel marking relates, if at all, to the threading environment of pnet/ilrun.

The gc provides for the ability to have the mark phase of it's operation occur in it's own thread, while the sweep phase (as I understand it) only ever occurs in the same thead as the alloc call. Parallel marking is not the default configuration for the gc.

Now, pnet/ilrun can be interpreting a number of programs at any one time and these would occupy their own thread or threads? If that is the case and one of those threads performs an alloc, then you are suggesting that the alloc will occur in that same thread, not in a parallel "marking" thread?

Regards,
Peter.