Re: [Pnet-developers] Xsharp

From: Marc Haisenko
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Xsharp
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:21:09 +0100

Well, I'm just a small contributor but like to share my opinion nevertheless.

It seems to me that Xsharp was never meant to be used for something else but
providing System.Drawing support on Xlib. This is why everything is internal
which in this case is the correct way of doing things, IMHO.

Turning Xsharp into a Xlib wrapper that can be used by third-party
applications seemed a bit strange to me at first but if someone has the need
and expertise in enhancing/improving Xsharp I think that would be a good
thing.

But I don't understand why William doesn't want to subscribe to this list when
he likes to discuss about this topic. I don't feel comfortable with having a
Xsharp fork without coordinating with pnet which is (and will propably
remain) the main user of Xsharp. It doesn't make sense to have two Xsharps.

Having a Xsharp in pnetlib and another one in a separate project would be an
unnecessary waste of precious resources in my opinion.

If he likes to make Xsharp a separate project (which does make sense if you'd
like to be able to use it with Mono and dotGNU) then we must coordinate so
that Xsharp can be moved from pnetlib to its own project without pnetlib
breaking. Especially when subtle changes are made to Xsharp which could make
System.Drawing.Xsharp misbehave.

So please convince him to subscribe to this list, it's low-traffic anyways ;-)

C'ya,
        Marc

--
Marc Haisenko