Re: [Pnet-developers] Question on pnetC on Windows.

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Question on pnetC on Windows.
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

> I was very excited to see there is a "C" compiler
> targeting for CLR.

Microsoft has one too .. though they call it C++.
But beware - it generates a non-portable IL+x86 code
mix.

> 1. Can I compille C code into IL and run it on
> Windows .NET CLR?

Yes.. After all it's just pure IL.

>     install some libraries, but don't know the
> procedure and cannot find any
> informations.

Get all the .dlls thrown out by pnetC and put
them in the same directory as the C exe. Something
like "make DESTDIR=/tmp/pnetC-dlls install" should
get you the dlls.

> 2. To what extent, cscc compiles some big "C"
> program into IL?
>     Can I compile arbitrary big C programs into IL?
> Isn't there any limitations?

Technically, there are very few limitations - because
IL can handle PInvoke to native transparently and
it can handle pointers. But there are some things
which will never work on pnetC like fork() behavior.

Gopal

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs