Re: [Pnet-developers] DotGNU Southern Summer of Code

From: Marcus
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] DotGNU Southern Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:38:12 -0600

On Friday 18 November 2005 5:25 pm, Kirill Kononenko wrote:
> I would like to discuss implementing a JIT for PNET at the next weekly
> meeting.
>
> We have received 2 grants of 4500USD each to see this implemented is 2
> parts.  The first is for completing LibJIT and the second is for the
> JIT itself (which will use LibJIT).
>
> I think we should call this the DotGNU Southern Summer of Code :)

I think that it would be a great idea to get a JIT running for Pnet. I do have
some concerns. I read that libjit is a general framework for writing a JIT.
To what extent does this generality limit performance?

I have tested libjit using the dpas (Dynamic Pascal) provided, and I am quite
disappointed in the performance. I have only had a chance to run a few simple
tests (the usual simplistic tests), and it is substantially slower than ilrun
(perhaps 1/7 the speed). Because off-the-shelf Pascal programs require a bit
of tinkering to work with dpas, I have only tried a few.