[Pnet-developers] Public X11 bindings for CLI

From: William Lahti
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Public X11 bindings for CLI
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 01:42:35 -0400

Ages back I voiced some concerns over the Xsharp bindings, their lack of publicness, and the incompleteness of it (as the only available X11 binding for managed code). Since, I have rolled my changes into a coherent binding called X11.CLI (X11 binding for the Common Language Infrastructure) which improves upon some of the limitations of Xsharp. In particular, the binding is no longer tied directly into Pnet, and thus a lot of stuff was made more public to allow flexibility and access to unsupported extensions/features. There are new interfaces for extensions and improved support for visuals and raw X events, among many other changes. This binding has been released as part of the aggregate Portal.CLI bindings, which can be found at http://x11net.sf.net/. The current release is 0.5a (alpha), and a lot of development is still required.

In the spirit of unification, I wished to bring this to Pnet's attention. It's a public open source project, and the X11.CLI bindings are currently released under the same license used for Xsharp (GPL). I would prefer that they were LGPL but that's all Southern Storm's choice.

Some issues still needing to be resolved:
- Backporting of Xlib.cs changes to Xlib.cs.in
- De-kludging of imaging APIs for proper dependence on DotGNU.Images or Pixman et cetera (currently only DotGNU.Images supported)
- ARGB visual bugs
- Window property / Opacity property bugs
- Proper testcases / regression testing
- API revision

If you are interested in this binding, please give it a try. More information as well as source code is available from the site. Thanks!