dotgnu-visionaries

Re: [Visionaries] DG-Scheme

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [Visionaries] DG-Scheme
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:14:37 +0200

Peter Minten wrote:

> > > Additions.
> >
> > Addendum.
>
> Yet Another Addendum

Dito

I wasn't completely happy yet with the way Generic procedures are used. Any
definition of a procedure without define-generic would cause a complete override
of the generic procedure, something which can easily lead to bugs. I'm therefore
redefining define to automatically be define-generic when the field name already
exists and is a Procedure or Generic. The way to override this behaviour is to
put [override] in the declaration, this will make define to the default action.
Now, generic procedures are much easier to use.

I'm redefining the include mechanism to allow generic methods to be included
too. This is done by giving every field (r-data) a method named include-form,
which should provide a form that when evaluated constructs a copy of the initial
value of the field or another value that can reasonably be expected to be wanted
by the class that includes the field. This means for about every object a deep
copy and for Generic objects a deep copy and re-evaluation of it's procedures in
the current context.

Guile has block comments of the form #!..!# to allow scheme scripts to be shell
scripts. DG-Scheme will also have such block comments.

Greetings,

Peter