dotgnu-visionaries

Re: [Visionaries] Exploring the noosphere

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Visionaries] Exploring the noosphere
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:35:19 -0400

I will offer a counter-point to this idea.  Doing this can be used to create
"prior art" that may successfully overturn a future patent, but such an
outcome is neither certain, nor prevents others from successfully securing
"invalid" patents anyway against ignorent examiners, and then potentially
causing emmense problems until/unless somebody then comes along with enough
funds comes along to make use of the prior art thus posted.  There is also
some risk that establishing such a list or site may itself become a source
for patent "mining" by unscroupoulus entities who will realize the cost of
securing the patent is less than the cost required by others to overturn it.

David