dragora-members

Re: [Dragora-members] Qi 2.0rc9

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-members] Qi 2.0rc9
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 17:42:30 -0300

El 2020-06-29 14:50, Michael Siegel escribió:

I still think that -V should be the short option for --version, and not
mean "very verbose". Instead, verbosity should be increased simply by
specifying the same option several times, i.e.:

  -v
    verbose
  -v -v, or simply: -vv
    more verbose

I find this much more logical because "more verbosity" means "more of
the same thing", and that is exactly what -vv is, while -V rather
represents "a slightly different version of the same thing".

I also think that using -vv would actually make the code easier to
follow because there would be only one option dealing with verbosity,
and not two.

I will see what can I do, this will require to add a bit of more code
into Qi.

Well, it would be for a good purpose. ;)

Alright, I've made the following changes:

- The -V option now prints the version number.
- Qi now supports -v for verbosity, another -v or -vv for more verbosity.
- It is now documented on the manual/guide.

(The new version is attached in another e-mail).

I would rather not call Qi's commands (install, remove, upgrade etc.)
"operating modes". This seems really confusing and unintuitive. I mean,
you tell Qi to do a certain thing, like install a package, right? I
would call that "giving commands to Qi". Or, put in another way,
something like

  qi install <package>

is really like telling Qi "Do this!", in this case: install a package.

The word "operation mode" really doesn't fit that well, if you ask me.

Instead, running a Qi command with the -f option could well be called
running that command "in force mode". We don't do that, of course,
because it's not necessary. I'm just trying to say that the term
"operation mode" is actually something that fits using options on a
certain command much more than using the command itself.

For example, if you were telling someone: Install it, but do it gently.
"Install" would be the action, or the command, "gentle" would be the
desired "mode of operation".

Okay, I'm starting to repeat myself. You get the idea.

Good, I renamed "mode/modes" to "command/commands" except in the code,
where 'command' is a reserved builtin of the shell.

Nice! As for naming in the code, you could probably say "action" instead
of "mode", just as an idea.

Thanks, but I prefer to keep "mode" in the code for now...

Lastly, there is still a bit of a problem with the structure of that
manual page. DESCRIPTION shouldn't contain everything it contains at the moment. For example, the options overview should really be in a separate
OPTIONS section. Environment variables should also have a section of
their own, called ENVIRONMENT. Also, adding an AUTHORS section (even if
there's only one author) seems like a good idea. man(1) has more
information on those things.

Yes, that's because the manual page is currently generated using
`help2man'...

I'll see if I can write a page manually, if we don't change anything
else in Qi.

Okay, that would be really cool. Maybe, there's a way to do it the other
way around, meaning generating the help text from the manual page. I'll
investigate that when I find the time.

Congratulations! I saw a contribution from you in the new release of help2man 1.47.16. ;-)

P.S.: I still think it's best to write a manpage by hand.