dragora-members

Re: [Dragora-members] Roadmap for Dragora 3.0 -beta2?

From: Michael Siegel
Subject: Re: [Dragora-members] Roadmap for Dragora 3.0 -beta2?
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 19:43:46 +0200

Hi selk,

a few quick comments and ideas from my side.

Am 08.09.20 um 23:31 schrieb Matias Fonzo:

> For the -beta2 you have to complete Trinity Desktop by adding a web
> browser.  Seamonkey, or the libre version of this, would be fine.  If
> anyone has more information (to refresh) about this, please write.  :-)

Doesn't TDE already have Konqueror? Is that maybe suitable as a Web
browser? I guess there are probably some security issues with that, though.

Also, I like TDE, but is it really strictly necessary to have it
available and fully supported for -beta2? Wouldn't it be enough to offer
a browser to use with Xfce, maybe GNU Icecat?

> Some adjustments have to be made in the Dragora installer so that it can
> search for packages, series and offer them to the user for installation.
>  At the moment I think I will omit the selection of package-by-package,
> since there were several changes for Qi and package names, you have to
> put a lot of detail and attention, energy to make this part go well.  I
> think it's more than enough that the user is offered a complete
> installation, or can at least select the series of packages, since the
> packages can be removed later.. at least for now.

Hm… If there would be any way to avoid removing that feature I'd be
really happy because I would definitely use it. I'd say that having to
remove packages I didn't want in the first place later is kind of
burdening me as a user.

What exactly makes it complicated to implement/keep this feature?

> Also, I take this opportunity to touch on the theme of the website, I
> know that Michael is preparing some important changes in the navigation
> menu, but I would like to see if we can add some content, for example,
> add the announcements of the releases of Qi, and start making a FAQ.
> Try to collect the questions that are asked on IRC, or ask new general
> but important questions.

As you can see, I have made public the development branch for
implementing the almost fully automatic generation of the navigation
menu as an expandable tree today. There's a TODO file[1] in there
detailing what still needs to be done. I've split that into problems I'd
like to solve before merging it into the master branch and others which
can be solved after doing that. It's not strictly necessary to go by
that division, though.

As far as an FAQ goes, I'd say this: An FAQ should really only include
genuine frequently asked questions and not be used to communicate basic
facts about the project. There are, IMO, better ways to do that, one
being a technical overview page like Devuan and Adélie have it:

  * https://devuan.org/os/
  * https://www.adelielinux.org/about.html#overview

I already have some notes on what I think this could look like in the
case of Dragora.

Concerning the website, I think it would be a good idea to start by
refining the introductory text on the Home page. I have some notes on
that as well.

And, of course, we can add the release announcements for Qi.

Best
--Michael

[1] https://notabug.org/dragora/dragora-website/src/mk_nav_ng/TODO