dragora-members

Re: [Dragora-members] Dragora Handbook: Structural draft

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-members] Dragora Handbook: Structural draft
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 17:47:12 -0300

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay.

El 2020-09-23 08:35, Michael Siegel escribió:
Am 22.09.20 um 21:20 schrieb Matias Fonzo:
El 2020-09-18 19:24, Michael Siegel escribió:

[..]

I've thought about two aspects of the Handbook template a bit more:

The Dragora GNU/Linux-Libre [MAJOR VERSION].x.y Handbook

I'm not sure if using [MAJOR VERSION].x.y really goes together with
semantic versioning. I guess it doesn't because a change in the minor
version number (x) could mean that additional features are introduced
(as long as they don't break backwards compatibility). The only thing in that version number that would never affect the Handbook's content would
be a changing patch level (y).

So, it would, I think, make sense to say

  [MAJOR VERSION].[MINOR VERSION]

and leave out the patch level completely.

Yes, the patch level is redundant. We could start by using the number 3 for the major version to reflect the series on which the manual is based, or add in a general way in the manual description that this covers or focuses for Dragora's series 3.

  * Typographical (and possibly other) conventions, either directly or
    via pointer to Appendix

Typographical and other conventions used in the book should be kept
short anyway, so I don't think this should be put into an appendix.

Texinfo probably defines some typographical conventions already.

I guess. We should check the possible convention used for the Texinfo manual...

About the structure for the handbook:

The idea that I have in my head at the moment would be the following, the one that I transmit to you. We would create a directory for each language, and a global Makefile (simple) for everything.

The main manual will contain the nodes exposed by Michael, plus the code to include other manuals generated in Dragora, for example the Qi, this same I have to see how to fit it or assemble it so that it can be included[1], this way it will allow us to maintain separate manuals and then join them (surely we have to copy them by hand) to produce the main handbook/manual.

[1] https://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/texinfo-3.9/html_chapter/texinfo_28.html

For now, I can request a new repo, what description would we use?.