Re: [Dragora-users] WiFi problem

From: Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] WiFi problem
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 22:32:57 +0200

On 26.11.2016 05:43, Mateus Pinto Rodrigues wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 22:45:25 +0000
> Matthieu Barberis <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Broadcom Corporation BCM4313
> Unfortunatelly this is not supported by free software, you can buy
> an USB dongle from tehnoetic
> https://tehnoetic.com/tehnoetic-wireless-adapter-gnu-linux-libre-tet-n150
> or thinkpenguin
> https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usb
> I had a machine with that same wifi card and the USB wifi works just
> fine.

Thank you, Mateus. Was that a full-size or a half-size WiFi card?

To users familiar with the screw that can open up the laptop so they can
reach the internal WiFi card, I recommend the permanent solution to the
non-freedom-respecting WiFi problem, and that is replacing the original
card with one compatible with free software which also performs best: up
to 450Mbps Dual Band 2.4/5GHz like this one:

https://tehnoetic.com/adapters/tet-n450db

If the nonfree BIOS has a whitelist of accepted WiFi cards and refuses
to use the free-software-compatible WiFi card I mentioned, covering the
20th pin before installing the card usually does the trick. By default,
Tehnoetic covers that pin with duct tape for customer's convenience.

If the laptop has space only for a half-size mPCIe WiFi card, my shop
also sells half-size 300Mbps Dual Band 2.4/5Ghz card. It will soon have
a product page of its own, but meanwhile free software users can order
the TET-N450DB and leave a comment that they need the half-size/300Mbps
version.

Tehnoetic is a shop which sells worldwide hardware compatible with fully
free systems like Dragora. The laptops we sell preinstalled with
libreboot and GNU distros ship with the TET-N450DB WiFi card.

Thank you,
Tiberiu
--
https://tehnoetic.com