Re: [Dragora-users] dragora-installer: Package selection menus in Expert

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] dragora-installer: Package selection menus in Expert mode
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 12:43:36 -0300

El 2019-11-19 12:00, Michael Siegel escribió:
Am 19.11.19 um 01:22 schrieb Matias Fonzo:
Hi Michael,

Right.  Your findings are the weak and evident points of the
installer, it's not a big deal, since it's doing its job (in the
current way, which is to install Dragora 3).

Yes, it surely does that. And once the partition detection is in order,
it will really be good enough for now. I mean, these things don't need
to be solved immediately. It's probably better to give it some time and
careful consideration.

Of course, that part of the installer is delicate.

I have been looking at the code, and it seems feasible to improve
this part.  Maybe I will do the following:

1. Add the sub-series as "series of software" into the selection
menu, including those for xorg.

2. Reduce the Expert menus.
Ok, sounds good to me. It would, I think, also be a good idea to have
sort of a work-in-progress roadmap for the installer, if that doesn't
exist already.

Well, I have nothing in mind but what is emerging for now. Nor do I guarantee that the roadmap marks that this item is being worked on specifically (now) when other parts need to be attended to, if that's what you mean...

One idea that came to my mind was to reduce the total number of main
software series to, say, 15. I mean, if there really need to be more,
then you can't force it and that's fine. But 19 series seems a bit many
to me. You could perhaps create a “base” series containing what is now
in “boot”, “compressors” and even “shells”. That's just an idea, but
maybe one worth considering.

This presents two problems, that having a series called "base", can give the wrong idea that this series contains absolutely everything essential to run the system, when things may be missing for the user (such as the networking support). Almost everything is required (to run "smoothly"), with the exception of Xorg. The other problem is that by adding the sub-series as series, there will be more items displayed in the selection menu. The number of items to select should not be an issue in a menu. Say, a long list already includes the items activated in case of doubt on the part of the user.