Re: [Dragora-users] Dragora recipes with cp command

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] Dragora recipes with cp command
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 15:46:16 -0300

Hi there!,

The commit[1] now moves the kernel sources instead of copying them.

[1] http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/dragora.git/commit/?id=6a79e00d1e73a951127864af3e7c68c5b13838eb

Regards,
Matías

El 2022-02-06 18:28, Matias Fonzo escribió:
Hello DustDFG,

El 2022-02-06 15:05, Dust DFG escribió:

I saw that many of dragora recipes use the "cp -p" command. I want to ask
you why you don't use the mv command. Cp command waste time and disk
resource. When source directory of package and package-$pkgname directories are in the one filesystem and one physical disk(most cases), mv command just moves the file (It is cheap). When those directories aren't near, mv
command is similar to cp. I think mv should be preferred.

The "cp -p" command is in various parts of a recipe in order to copy
local files that are located in the working directory, such as a
configuration file, a configuration for a daemon, etc.  Mostly it is
used to copy documentation from a source and insert it preserving the
timestamp in the documentation directory for a package.

Moving the files instead of copying them would not be ideal, since it
would disarrange the git aggregate files, also if you move the
documentation files from a source, they would no longer be there when
you want to preserve the source at build time (qi -k recipe).

For example, a recipe for the package buildtree-generic that copies a folder with kernel sources and binaries and then removes the original folder. It isn't quick but it is very expensive because a computer wastes time and disk resources.

For this particular case, yes, it may be useful and save resources
instead of copying the kernel source directory...