Re: [Dragora-users] Proposal: flexible script to create different images

From: DustDFG
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] Proposal: flexible script to create different images
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:12:09 +0100

Hi,

>No, I was talking about to modify the output of packages by default
>(from Qi), but first I want to check if we can just include the packages
>in a ISO handling the category name in the packages, for e.g: all the
>@core.tlz packages for the ISO (CD 1).

I think that if we don't worry about size of this iso image, it doesn't look like
a problem because we can use 'find' utility. I still can't understand what you
mean. What does modification of packages by default means?

>On your previous concern, it is possible to install the packages using
>--rootdir from Qi, for example install all *@core.tlz packages to
>compose the main system. This can also be avoided if we provide rootfs
>images (as in -alpha 1)...

I thought that the rootfs is a core image. I am a little surprised. I still can't
understand core category. If we will add core category, we will need to move
there some packages from other categories. It can break the logic.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 10:01 PM Matias Fonzo <selk@dragora.org> wrote:
Hi DustDFG,

El 2022-04-26 12:39, DustDFG escribió:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 8:35 PM Matias Fonzo <selk@dragora.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello DustDFG,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay.

>> > You are almost right. I wanted to say that when we have an instance of
>> > qi
>> > and set of binary packages, we can install only part of the packages.
>> > It
>> > will give us a filesystem representation of dragora but in this case we
>> > can
>> > decide what we want see in the live image. So it means that we can
>> > provide
>> > core dragora image. It also means that user can create custom image
>> > with
>> > only necessary for the user packages. In this situation we have one
>> > special
>> > case. If we will install all binary packages, we will get the whole
>> > final
>> > system but it doesn't have much sense because when we follow
>> > instructions
>> > from `CHEATSHEET.md` we compile all packages and install them so we get
>> > the
>> > whole final system in this way (It can be useful for the user when user
>> > has
>> > all binary packages and installed qi and wants to produce dvd iso
>> > image).
>>
>> That is possible, but to facilitate the task I think it will be better
>> to organize the output of the packages using the category name, so we
>> could easily know which packages belong to the category of 'core' by
>> just looking into the directory name.  Especially, it would provide us
>> with the selection for the ISOs split-ed in CDs...
>>
>> (I'm going to look now at the Qi code to see if it is feasible to have
>> the output using the name of the category).
>>

> I am not sure that I understood you correctly. Did you talk about
> organizing packages from /usr/pkg/ by category sub-folders?

No, I was talking about to modify the output of packages by default
(from Qi), but first I want to check if we can just include the packages
in a ISO handling the category name in the packages, for e.g: all the
@core.tlz packages for the ISO (CD 1).

Right now Dragora can create a full DVD (the whole system with the
binary packages inside), what is missing is to split the packages in
several CDs (ISOs).