[Dragora-users] Proposal: add to qi possibility to switch type of tarlz

From: DustDFG
Subject: [Dragora-users] Proposal: add to qi possibility to switch type of tarlz compression granularity
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 07:04:49 +0100

Hello!

I want to know why you use tarlz. If I right understand, you use tarlz
archive format (not usual tar.lz or something else) because it has
multi-threaded facilities. Am I right?

I read the source code of qi and found that qi uses tarlz with option
--solid. It means that tarlz can't unpack this archive with using
multi-threading [1] [2]. I understand that you want to get the
smallest possible size of an archive. If I have a fully empty disk
with 1TB capacity, I may want to get more speed especially if I build
packages for testing (not for release)...

I want to propose you to add to qi possibility to point compression
granularity level through new option or maybe through qirc file. Note:
I don't propose to change default compression granularity level. I
simply want to have a possibility to change it when I want it.

[1] https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/manual/tarlz_manual.html#Introduction
[2]
https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/manual/tarlz_manual.html#Multi_002dthreaded-decoding