Re: [Duplicity-talk] multi-level diffs; deletions

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] multi-level diffs; deletions
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:06:35 -0800

  DC> Actually, I think that with rdiff based incrementals, one is
  DC> more likely to want multilevel backups.  Let me explain.
  DC> Suppose you do a full backup A and then a backup B relative to
  DC> A.  Now it's time for backup C, and you are trying to decide
  DC> whether to do it relative to A or B.  The advantage of doing it
  DC> relative to A is that you only have two tar files to process if
  DC> you have to restore.  The disadvantage is that backup C will be
  DC> larger.

  DC> If you use an rdiff based scheme instead of the usual method of
  DC> backing up entire files that have changed, then the advantage of
  DC> doing the backup relative to A is even bigger (since restores
  DC> are more complicated, especially in the case of a complete disk
  DC> failure) and the disadvantage is even less (since rdiff based
  DC> backups are smaller).

  DC> Put another way, since rdiff based backups produce smaller
  DC> incrementals, I'm probably going to space my full backups
  DC> further apart than with a traditional approach.  So I'm going to
  DC> want multilevel incrementals even more, since without them I'm
  DC> going to have to process a long sequence of .difftar files in
  DC> order to restore my system.

Yes, this makes some sense, but I was thinking of a case where a
perhaps the diff A->C is as big as the diff B->C + the diff A->B.
Then making the A->C diff may not be a good idea because it would take
up more space, and it wouldn't even be quicker to restore, because
you'd have to download the same amount of data either way.

    But I was assuming downloading the data is the bottleneck.  If it
is applying the diffs, then you are right, one A->C diff is much
easier to apply than an A->B diff and a B->C diff, even if they are of
the same total sizes.

    At any rate, I agree that it would be a good feature to have.

  BE> Also, I can't think of anything in the architecture which would
  BE> preclude this feature---duplicity would just have to keep
  BE> signatures for backup sets other than the most recent.

  DC> I just tried duplicity out, and it seems to do this already.  So
  DC> maybe this feature wouldn't be hard to add?

I think the intended behavior is for only the most recent signature to
be kept.  I don't think the feature would be hard to add, but this is
a rather confusing feature I think, and we would want some way to help
the user specify what s/he wanted.  Also some built-in algorithms
would probably be nice, and for restores we would want duplicity to
pick the shortest path to a full backup.

--
Ben Escoto