[Duplicity-talk] Backup to tape?

From: Bob
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Backup to tape?
Date: 21 Apr 2003 22:18:36 -0700

I've been backing up directly to tape by using find to create a tar,
then piping it through bzip2 and gpg.  From the looks of it, duplicity
is a better solution.

I can't seem to figure out a way to get duplicity to back up directly to
tape as it seems to want a directory as a destination.  I notice that in
the backup directory it creates three files: *.sigtar.gpg,
*.manifest.gpg, and *.difftar.gpg.  I assume only the *.difftar.gpg file
is necessary for restoration (is this correct?) so perhaps I could
direct duplicity to write the files into /tmp and subsequently copy just
the *.difftar.gpg file to /dev/tape.

Is anyone else backing up to tape using duplicity?  Should we add a
feature to duplicity so that file:///dev/tape can be specified as a
destination?

Bob