Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Strange Error Message?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Strange Error Message?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:08:13 -0700

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:11:18 +0200
"Doc SoLo" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for the support. There are no long filenames or symlinks in
> the problematic directories. But with your help I pinned down the
> problem to some weird (long) owner-group-identifiers, that
> Apache/PHP creates during remote uploads (especially WebDAV).
>
> example:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 www      4294967295      782 May  9 19:26 m_cb8d2514d2.gif
>
> Is this possible?

Ahh, thank you for the very precise error report.  The problem seems
to be another bug in the tar library, although it is understandable
because uids this high do not seem to be supported:

    The name, linkname, magic, uname, and gname are null-terminated
    character strings. All other fileds are zero-filled octal numbers
    in ASCII. Each numeric field of width w contains w minus 2 digits,
    a space, and a null, except size, and mtime, which do not contain
    the trailing null.  (from gnu tar manual)

uids are stored in an 8 byte field.  I don't understand the third
sentence above, but if the numbers are stored in octal, it suggests
that at most a uid of 8^8 = 16777216 can be recorded.  Your uid of
4294967295 must have overflown and messed up the rest of the archive.

So tell me what tar does to your file and I will change duplicity to
match.

--
Ben Escoto