Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Strange Error Message?

From: Doc SoLo
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Strange Error Message?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:45:26 +0200

Hi Ben,

sorry for the delay, I was busy the last weeks.

The problem was definately the too long user-id's Apache/PHP was creating.
After changing their config to avoid this, duplicity works without any errors
so far. Thanks for this great tool!

But I don't understand your question "what tar does to your file". So if it is
still of interest for you, perhaps you could clear things up a bit.

Ciao,

Doc SoLo

> >Ahh, thank you for the very precise error report.  The problem seems
> >to be another bug in the tar library, although it is understandable
> >because uids this high do not seem to be supported:
> >
> >    The name, linkname, magic, uname, and gname are null-terminated
> >    character strings. All other fileds are zero-filled octal numbers
> >    in ASCII. Each numeric field of width w contains w minus 2 digits,
> >    a space, and a null, except size, and mtime, which do not contain
> >    the trailing null.  (from gnu tar manual)
> >
> >uids are stored in an 8 byte field.  I don't understand the third
> >sentence above, but if the numbers are stored in octal, it suggests
> >that at most a uid of 8^8 = 16777216 can be recorded.  Your uid of
> >4294967295 must have overflown and messed up the rest of the archive.
> >
> >So tell me what tar does to your file and I will change duplicity to
> >match.

Horoskop, Comics, VIPs, Wetter, Sport und Lotto im WEB.DE Screensaver1.2
Kostenlos downloaden: http://screensaver.web.de/?mc=021110